Do you know someone who may be classified as a person with a disability?
Encourage them to get a PWD ID!
Whether the medical condition is visible or not, getting the card has many benefits. It serves as proof of entitlement as a person with a disability to avail of the discounts that can help in easing medical expenses.
Keep reading to learn how to get the PWD ID in the Philippines!
PWD ID Philippines: Requirements
To obtain a PWD card, you need to complete the following requirements:
- Accomplished Philippine Registry Form for Persons with Disability. This form is available at local government offices, National Council on Disability Affairs, Department of Health, and Department of Social Welfare and Development.You may also download the file or register online at the Department of Health’s Philippine Registry for Persons with Disabilities.
- Barangay Clearance
- Two 2×2 ID pictures for the application form, and one 1×1 picture for the medicine booklet.
- Medical certificate or clinical abstract from a physician.
The PWD ID card is valid for three years and free of charge when issued for the first time. There’s a minimal fee for ID renewal because of expiration, damage, or loss of card.
How to Apply for a PWD ID
Here are the steps on how to get a PWD ID:
- First, gather all the required documents. Ensure that you have the complete documents to have a faster approval.
- If the applicant cannot appear in person for the application, a family member may take over on behalf of the applicant. The representative must present an authorization letter signed by the PWD applicant.
- After the verification of submitted documents, the forms will be forwarded to the health center near your municipality. The appointed officer will fill out a certification form and will input the submitted date to the Philippine Registry for PWD.
- Lastly, the PWD applicant must submit the certificate of disability and approved application form to the nearest office of Social Welfare, National Council on Disability Affairs, or Department of Social Welfare and Development for the actual issuance of ID.
How to Renew PWD ID
Here’s how you can renew your PWD ID in person:
- First, download the application form. Please note that the form is from the Department of Health. It is the same form that can be found on their Philippine Registry for Persons with Disability website. Now, some Local Government Units use their own form in processing PWD registration. It can be a bit confusing which form to use but to be safe, it’s better to use the form provided by your local government unit. The forms are usually available on the LGU’s website.
- Once you have completed the form submit it together with the original and photocopy of your expired ID.
- You will also be asked to submit a 2×2 ID picture. Some LGUs might also ask applicants to submit a 1×1 ID picture.
- Submit all the required documents and pay the renewal fee.
- Your application will be reviewed by the processing officer.
- Once your application is approved, you will be directed to the PWD ID Issuance Section.
Enjoy the Benefits and Privileges of the PWD ID!
For many, having a disability might signal a tough life ahead. However, through the help of a PWD ID card, Filipinos with disabilities can experience an improved lifestyle even in the smallest of ways.
As mentioned in our previous article about the classified PWD illnesses in the Philippines, the government is strict in evaluating applicants. Make sure to comply with all the requirements to avoid any hassles in processing your application.
Leave us a comment below if you have any questions to ask or thoughts to share!